case study 1 52 – exclusivewritings.com
Case Study 1: Understanding Process Measurement Variation
For this assignment, you will need to conduct an experiment then create visuals that will be placed within a PowerPoint presentation to present your findings. Your presentation should be easy to read and have a consistent design theme throughout. Please view the first four chapters in the following LinkedIn Learning course on PowerPoint Essentials before creating your presentation:
Read the following experimental variation scenario:
To help you learn about measurement variation, try this experiential learning exercise. (We are indebted to Alan Goodman, DuPont Company, Wilmington, Delaware, for bringing this exercise to our attention.)
You have started a new business providing height measurements of humans. Your customers expect accurate and precise measurements. You offer two methods of measurement: a yardstick or a meter stick, and a tape measure. You need to test the two methods to evaluate their performance and provide the results to your customers.
For this experiment you will need the following tools:
- A yardstick or meterstick.
- A tape measure.
- Access to an entrance door that is 6 feet or taller.
- A group of 20 or more people (they do not have to be gathered at the same time, but it should be 20 different people that participate).
You will test Method 1 in this way:
- Identify a group of 20 or more people.
- Ask the group of 20 or more people to measure the height of the entrance door that is approximately 6 feet or taller. Be sure that the entrance door is the same for each member of the group.
- Each person will measure the height of the door using the yardstick or the meterstick and will silently report the measurement to you or to someone you have designated as the data collector.
- You will then tabulate the data and plot each measurement on a run or sequence chart. No deviation from the prescribed method is allowed.
In Method 2, you may use the same, or a different, group of 20 or more people and the same or a different entrance door.
- This time, the group will use the tape measure in any way the group members desire.
- Again, each person silently reports the measurement of the entrance door to you or a designated data collector, and you will tabulate and plot each data point.
You will then create a PowerPoint presentation that includes each of the following items:
- Compare the accuracy and precision of the two methods using graphical and analytical methods. Which method was more accurate? Develop a flow chart for each method in which you specify the key problems that might be present. Develop the supplier, input, process steps, output, and customer (SIPOC) model to analyze the process of both methods. This can also be done in the flow chart. (Please reference these instructions on how to create a flow chart in Microsoft Word.)
- Analyze the flow chart and SIPOC model to identify opportunity for improvement (OFI). Next, categorize whether the OFI are caused by special causes or common causes variations. Provide a rationale for your response. Which method of measurement would you recommend? Why? Should different methods be used under different circumstances? Consider the role of different customer segments.
- Discuss the feelings the group(s) had when using the two methods. What were the differences between the two sets of feelings? Are these differences important?
- Use Basic Search: Strayer University Online Library to identify at least two quality references to support your discussion.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- A PPT presentation with at least 8 slides that include the responses to numbers 1 through 3 above.
- A references slide which follows APA format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Formatting of the slides should be consistent and easy to read.
- Cover slide containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date.
- Note: The cover and the reference slides are not included in the required assignment slides length.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Design strategies to enhance organizational performance that are informed by the principals of statistical thinking.