the ethics of intervention for food refusal – exclusivewritings.com
In the article by Vaz, Volkert, and Piazza (2011) from this unit’s studies, an intervention was applied to address the negative reinforcement function of food refusal by a young boy.
Vaz, P. C. M., Volkert, V. M., & Piazza, C. C. (2011). USING NEGATIVE REINFORCEMENT TO INCREASE SELF-FEEDING IN A CHILD WITH FOOD SELECTIVITY. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 44(4), 915-20.
For this assignment:
- Describe your initial reaction to the intervention, especially regarding the use of escape avoidance strategies.
- Take the position that you oppose the intervention and explain why. Your rationale should specifically address any possible undesired side effects, as well as whether the intervention appeared to violate any ethical codes. Be sure to cite specific codes from the Professional and Ethical Compliance Code for Behavior Analysts.
- Take the position that you support the intervention and explain why. Your rationale should specifically address any possible benefits and the boy’s right to effective treatment.
- Revisit your initial reaction to the intervention. Do you still feel the same way, or has your examination of both sides influenced your reaction? Do you believe the intervention is in line with the Professional and Ethical Compliance Code for Behavior Analysts? Explain.
Reference your unit readings, professional codes of conduct, and other resources to support your positions.
- Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: References and citations are formatted according to current APA style guidelines.
- Resources: A sufficient number of scholarly or professional resources.
- Length: 2â€“3 double-spaced pages, in addition to a title page and references page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.
Basic info to follow when answering the questions:
Assess personal reaction to interventions used to address problematic behaviors.
Explain how possible undesired side effects and ethical codes do not support the use of certain interventions.
Explain how potential benefits and an individual’s right to effective treatment support the use of certain interventions
Evaluate personal reaction to determine how ethical and professional conduct principles influence the selection of interventions and treatments for problematic behaviors.